Sunday, June 14, 2026

Grand Rapids to Howell, MI

I was awakened at 1:00 AM to strong winds and pounding rain so I got up and pulled in all the slides on the motorhome so nothing would be damaged during the storm.

We had planned to go the the Gerald Ford Museum today and since it's Sunday it didn't open until noon.  Since we had a few hours of down time we found a laundromat and did all the laundry.   After that job was done we went to Anna's House for breakfast.  It is supposedly voted the Best Breakfast in Michigan so we gave it a try.  The food was good and the place was packed but the service was.        S-L-O-W.

After breakfast it only took about 15 minutes to get to the museum. The museum was well done and interesting.   The displays were arranged sequentially starting from his childhood and moving through his education, his time in Congress, his appointment to the vice-presidency, and succession to the presidency when Nixon resigned. Before our visit I had very limited knowledge of Gerald Ford or his term as our president. 




After the museum we went a few blocks away to the Mitten Brewing Company.  It is a baseball themed microbrewery and pizza parlor inside an historic fire station.  One of their specialties is a pizza flight.  You choose six different pizzas from their menu and the order comes on a board with four square pieces of each flavor you chose.  We have enough pizza for lunch today, dinner tonight,  and probably a snack or lunch another day.






We left the Grand Rapids area and drove a little less than 70 miles to Lansing to visit the Horrock Farm Market.  It is a family owned business that has been open for over 60 years.  The market is huge and carries just about anything you can imagine for the home and garden from pots, to garden decor, bird feeders, seeds, and plants. In addition, they have groceries, candy, a bakery, homemade gelato, toys, and souvenirs. 

I was kind of in awe looking at everything and at the same time trying to find Bill.  He dropped me off and went to park and I thought he was meeting me inside. When I failed to find him in the market I walked out to find him in the motorhome.  He decided it was just a grocery store with fruits and vegetables so didn't want to come inside.





By the time we left the market it was starting to get late so I started trying to find a place to stay for the the night.  I found us a space at the Lake Chemung Outdoor Resort in Howell, MI. Although there are a limited number of overnight spaces available, it is primarily a retirement and golf community with full time residents living in very nice permanent mobile homes.  Almost every residence had a golf cart in the driveway and the whole place had a very nice, upscale feeling to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment